Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Arrival

The truck driver called to say that he was on his way to my house and that he'd be there in 20 minutes.
I was supposed to have 45 minutes advance notice. I quickly had my elementary students gather their
belongings and scoot to the rooms of my teaching partners.

Shortly after I got home, the truck arrived. The driver asked where the box was going. "Up the steps and through the front door," I replied. Hmm...there were supposed to be two guys delivering this I
thought to myself. "You gonna help me," the driver asked. "Where's your 2-wheel dolly," I responded.
"I don't have one," the driver replied. "Then I guess I'm helping you," I said.

I put on some gloves and used some tin snips to carefully remove the metal bands.  Inside the carton, the harp was sitting on a cushion of styrofoam. It looked like the harp had been put inside the carton, and then foam sprayed into separate bags around the crown and shoulder of the harp. These were custom formed to the harp, and kept the harp suspended in the center of the carton and away from the exterior carton. A final block of styrofoam sat behind the harp at the base near the pedals to keep the harp from rocking back.



After removing the packing, I slid the harp onto the remainder of an army blanket that had been blessed at OSAS when we learned "waulking" songs. This ebony and bronze harp is a beauty. The bow in the column is merely a photographic distortion. 

1 comment:

  1. Um.....pedal harp? It's beautiful...are you taking up the pedal harp?

    ReplyDelete