Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Funerals

 Two relatives died this week. One of them was the father of a distant cousin who has led the guitar mass musicians since I left for Columbus over 25 years ago. The other was my uncle.

When the lead musician is unable to perform, I wondered who would provide the music? I occasionally join the musicians when I return home, so I decided join the musicians playing at the funeral masses
. I ended up playing flute and singing one day. The next day, I also played harp before and after the service.

While I was in my old bedroom at home, I noticed some of my handiwork from when I was very, very young. Now visible in the midday brightness of the sun were the crosses I etched into several door frames with a pen knife. I remember being so proud of my work; after all, the cross symbolized something very special. I still remember my confusion over my mom being horrified at what I'd done. Hmmm...I'd forgotten all about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment