Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Brig O' Perth



From the airport, I skirted around Edinburgh to the vast, gently-tilting lowlands of Midlothian. And there, I had a lesson with Corrina Hewat. Since I hadn’t played a harp during the first part of this trip at all, our first focus was on getting re-acclimated through exercises and warm-ups. My specific focus was on playing with less tension by making sure my thumbs close completely and make contact with the first knuckle of the pointer. Because I was so focused on having my thumbs up, I wasn’t completing the motion to release tension. After this technique tune-up, Corrina taught me a reel called The Brig O’ Perth. Corrina has a gift for quickly tapping in to a person’s learning style and provided just the right amount of support and guidance. Corrina also provided me with a music book that has traditional tunes and their related songs with just a snippet of history. It seems the perfect resource for me.

2 comments: