Saturday, June 26, 2010

Dunvegan Castle




Next, we went to Dunvegan Castle. Parts of the castle are shrouded in scaffolding and tarps for renovation.

Clan Macleod was a patron of musicians. They donated land to the MacCrimmons where a bagpipe school was set up at Boreraig. This school is credited with the development of Ceol Mor, the big music or classical music of the bagpipe. The Macrimmon family origin is thought to go back to a person from Cremona, Italy being brought to Scotland. Hence the name origin.

Bagpipes surpassed the clarsach (highland harp) in popularity after the 1600's.

If I’m recalling things correctly, last year I learned a tune called Oran Mor Micleod in which the clan harper praises his recently deceased clan chief and admonishes his son for not living up to the patronage of musicians as his clan had in the past. I’m liking the fact I am developing strong associations for some of the tunes that I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment