Saturday, October 23, 2010

Highland Dancer

What a surprise. Kathleen was at the Meadow Highland Games to compete in the Highland Dance Competition. Between Kathleen and me is her mother from North Carolina.

Kathleen is a Highland Dancer whom I know from the Scottish Country Dance group in Columbus. When Kathleen finished her doctorate from The Ohio State University, she moved to teach at a university in New York City on Staten Island. Kathleen is a warm, friendly, gracious dancer. All of us in the Scottish Country Dance group miss her. Kathleen's gracefulness from the Highland Dance crosses over into the social dance of Scottish Country Dance. She is the best dance partner for quick time jigs and reels to the more stately strathspeys. I am especially appreciative of the embellishment Kathleen taught me circling eight hands round and back during a strathspey. Whenever I dance this move, I'm reminded of how much we miss her! I wonder how she did in her competition?

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, do I read that you WON the national harp championship??? That's wonderful, Steve! Congratulations!

    And I even know Mr. Currie myself -- as you say, he coordinated the Ellis Island performance that I danced at. What a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathleen. Thanks for reading the blog! And thanks for sharing my wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete