Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kirkwall

We stopped in Kirkwall, the main city center of the Orkney Islands. I had a locally brewed dark beer called the Dark Island. I spoke with the bar keep about some other locally produced favorites like a dark grain bannock and cheese. When I mentioned that I had heard the Wrigley Sisters in Ohio a few times, he said, “I remember them being gone for a few years. They came back and opened a gathering place where they teach music lessons, hold sessions, and serve some meals.” Since he knew I had a very short time in Kirkwall, he said, “You better finish that and head down there. You’ll probably see them because they’re usually there.” I dashed down the street to St. Magnus Cathedral, and across the street was the place I thought probably belonged to the Wrigley Sisters. I zipped into the Cathedral for a few quick photos. By then, my timer was going off and I had to run to catch my tour bus. Sadly, I didn’t get to see these fine musicians. Such is the life of being on a time schedule when you are on a tour with other people.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! You missed the chance to see the Wrigley Sisters on their home turf...or is it their home peat? That's too bad, as is loosing the Kirkwall photos. But maybe their is a scottish ballad you can write about all that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Orkneys are pretty famous for puirt a beul, mouth music, let us know what you run across. Coincidently, I just started memorizing the slow air "The Dark Island" for the pipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...you can't do everything you want when you are on a bus tour.

    Didn't get to hook up with any musicians in Orkney...just not enough time on the day tour. I'd like a copy of the Dark Island. Can you email me an attachment?

    ReplyDelete