Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Maddie's Help




Maddie also mentioned that the owners had built a huge new mansion that took over two years to compete. “Spent a boatload of money.” He mentioned that there are signs saying private property and not vehicles beyond this point, but he suggested I pull over to the side of the road and just walk down. That’s what I did. I was very quickly met by Andy, the head estate keeper. I introduced myself and explained my story. He said, “You do realize that this is private property.” I said, “My understanding was that it might be okay to walk up the road.” He said that under the provision of the “Right To Ramble Act” that had been passed a few years ago, that I could walk road and paths, but that I could not go through gardens. Since much of the estate was gardens, it would be okay if I stayed on the road. Then he offered, “Might I go with you and point out some things that might be of interest?” This had been a bit tense. I didn’t want to ruin my chance of seeing what I had been trying to sleuth out all day. So I made no mention of my camera. Didn’t want to push my luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment